Apart from the running projects, which demand a continuity and consequently have to be financed over a longer period of time, we are planning a lot of other initiatives :
- Nursing-homes on the islands. For all the islands there is only one doctor available. He works from a hospital at Bubaque. Most villages on the islands don’t even have a nursing-home to provide urgent first aid care. Estimated cost price per nursing-post : XOF 1.000.000 (€ 1.525,00). Maintaining and replenishing the necessary medicine : XOF 250.000 (€ 381,00) annually.
- Training of teachers. We need more qualified teachers for the secondary school. The training of the teachers is a priority. Estimated cost price : XOF 750.000 (€ 1.150,00) per student per year.
- Training of doctors and nurses . We urgently need a qualified medical staff. At the moment there is only one doctor for all the islands (about 20.000 inhabitants), but he is losing his motivation, as this task is far too heavy for only one person. The nurses learned their trade through practice which means that, though their dedication is unquestioned, the quality of the health-care may be doubtful, also because the nurses sometimes have to replace the doctors. Cost price : medicine/university level or nursing /technological university or college XOF 1.000.000 (€ 1.500) annually.
- Vocational education. Not everyone has the talent to become a teacher or nurse. But there is also need of skilled labourers and craftsmen. This is why we are planning to start a kind of “vocational school”. This means that a craftsman (male or female) takes charge of 3 apprentices and this during a period of 3 years in order to teach them a certain trade , such as plumber, electrician, mechanic (e.g. repair of boat and car engines and aggregates), cabinet-worker (rattan), joinery. A theoretical education of minimum 1 day a week will later enable them to function as independent craftsmen (first grade : reading, writing, arithmetic; second grade idem; third grade idem but also reading of plans (schemes) and draw up specifications). Cost price : XOF 500.000 per student per year (€ 750).
- Building a vocational school. In order to group all the students that take a vocational training and to secure the material placed at the disposal of the school by the NGO, we need a building with several classes and workshops. This makes a more thorough control possible and it may prevent teachers from exploiting the students by making them do private errands, prepare food or perform other tasks that have little to do with the training itself. In February 2010 we started a training-course for sewing and knitting techniques and we already have a problem to put all the material that was donated by sympathizers in Belgium into store. We expect the vocational training of electricians, bricklayers, joiners, etc. to cause even more problems concerning storage . Estimated cost for the building and fitting up : € 10.000,00 (65.000.000 FCFA).
- Distress Fund. We urgently need to start a distress fund for those groups of the population that were forces to leave their villages due to catastrophes (temporary housing, food, help with rebuilding …..). Minimum required starting capital : XOF1.000.000 (€ 1.500). Estimated annual expenditure : XOF 500.000 (€ 765,00).
- School equipment : the schools there is a constant shortage of educational appliances : all writing material (paper, school exercise-books, ballpoints, pencils, pencil-sharpers, erasers, colour-pencils), chalk, textbooks, satchels (book-bags), school-desks, …. Estimated annual cost price : XOF 1.000.000 (€ 1.530,00).
- Next phase concerning the roofed-in market . In order to finish the covering in of the whole market we need another € 17.000. The first phase was completed successfully in 2005. The next phase, fortification of the foundations, raising the existing pillars and the roofing, is the most expensive one : € 10.000. The third phase consists of the finishing off and will cost about € 7.000,00.
- Sports : to offer the youngsters meaningful leisure activities in order to keep them “off the streets”(to prevent them from being up to mischief)) the local football team needs to be supported. We’d like to provide equipment (shoes, stockings, T-shirts, etc.) and a first-aid-kit.